Make Kombucha with old tea instead of throwing it away!
Kombucha - Primary Fermentation
Yield: 1 gallon
Ingredients link to metric here
Filtered Water1 quart + 3 quarts (No Chlorine!)
Old, Unbrewed, Green or Black Tea8-12 grams, ~1/4 ounce
1 Quart Mason Jars
- Sanitize equipment if you have reason to think you may be at risk for mold
- Boil water 1 quart of water
- Place dry tea leaves into 1 quart. mason jar.
- Pour a quart of hot water over tea leaves
- Let steep for 5 minutes
- Separate tea leaves from liquid
- Discard used tea leaves
- Add sugar to tea liquid
- Add 3 quarts of water
- Check Temp: Ensure water temp is under 100˚F
- Pour in scoby: Ensure scoby is covered with kombucha liquid from previous batch
- Cover mason jar with a dishcloth or paper towel using rubber band
Place in darkish (sunlight is BAD, Ultravoilet light is bad, Lamps should be fine) environment with ambient temperature ideally around 72˚F (65˚F to 75˚F adjust time to temp, cooler= longer).
a. you want to make "Kombucha" (with Black Tea) ferment for 5-10 days.
b. you want to make "Jun" (with Green Tea) ferment for 3-5 days.
c. you want to make Vinegar, keep going!
Shorter ferment for more beer taste.
Longer ferment for more vinegar taste.